Adopted: December 11th, 2012
Amended: January 11th, 2016
Article I – Name
The name of the group shall be Le Monde Parents (hereinafter referred to as the Association).
Article II – Purpose and Mission
The purpose of the Association is to foster a positive spirit within the Le Monde community of parents, students, and teachers/staff as well as to assist the school in its efforts to provide the best educational opportunities and assistance to the students. Therefore, the mission of the Association shall be:
- Community Building
- Parent Education
- School Spirit
- School Support
At all times, the Association will cooperate and consult with the school administration to ensure that the nature of its activities and the manner and timing of its contributions are consistent with the School’s educational purpose and needs.
Article III – Membership and Dues
Section 1. Any parent or guardian of a student enrolled at the school is automatically a member. Each member of the Association shall be entitled to one vote.
Section 2. Membership in the Association shall not require the payment of dues.
Article IV – Council and Elections
Section 1. The Council shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary. The Council together shall serve as the Liaison Committee to the Board of Directors.
The Chair shall:
- preside over meetings of the Association including preparing meeting agendas;
- represent the Association at meetings outside the Association;
- serve as the primary contact of the Association for the Head of School and Board of Directors;
- serve as an ex-officio member of all Association committees, except the Election
- Committee, to help facilitate effective communication between committees and the Association;
- enforce the Policies & Procedures of the Association;
- coordinate the work of the Council and committees so that the Purpose and Mission of the Association are served.
The Vice-Chair shall:
- assist the Chair as needed;
- carry out the Chair’s duties in his or her absence or inability to serve;
- be an ambassador for the Association;
- help promote participation in the Association.
The Secretary shall:
- keep all records of the Association and take meeting minutes;
- handle official Association correspondence;
- send timely notices of meetings to the membership;
- keep a copy of the meeting minutes, Policies & Procedures (including Amendments), membership list, and any other necessary supplies, and have them available at meetings;
- Work with the appropriate committees to keep the members informed.
Section 2. Nominations and Elections. Council elections will be held in May each year. The Election Committee shall accept nominations from members for each office and present the candidates at the previous meeting. At that meeting, nominations may also be made from the floor. All members present at the May meeting shall vote by secret ballot. Members not present at the May meeting may submit a secret ballot to a member of the Election Committee during school hours on the day of the election. Members of the Election Committee shall collect and count the votes. The candidate in each office receiving the most votes cast shall be elected to that office. The Election Committee shall announce the results of the election within three calendar days following the election.
Section 3. Eligibility. Any member is eligible to run for Council office except members of the Le Monde Immersion Board of Directors and school staff.
Section 4. Terms of Office. Council members are elected for one year (term starts September 1st and ends August 31st)1. Each person elected shall hold only one office at a time. From the date the election results are announced until the official start of the term, the members of the outgoing Council shall train and mentor the members of the incoming Council.
Section 5. Vacancies. If there is a vacancy in the office of Chair, the Vice-Chair will immediately become the acting Chair. At that time, the Election Committee may accept nominations for a new Chair. A Special Election for the new Chair may be held by the Election Committee. If there is a vacancy in any other office, the Election Committee may accept nominations for the vacant office and a Special Election for the vacancy may be held by the Election Committee.
Section 6. Removal from Office. Council members can be removed from office with or without cause by a two-thirds vote of those members present at a regularly scheduled Association meeting where at least 14 calendar days notice has been given of the vote.
Article V – Meetings
Section 1. Regular Meetings. The regular meeting of the group shall be at a time and place determined by the Chair. Regular meetings shall be held at least quarterly. The annual meeting is a regular meeting to be held in May. The annual meeting is for receiving reports, electing next year’s Council members, and conducting other business that should arise. The Secretary will notify the members of the meetings at least one month prior to the meeting.
Section 2. Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the Chair, any two members of the Council, or twenty members submitting a written request to the Secretary. Notice of the special meeting shall be sent to the members at least one week prior to the meeting.
Section 3. Consensus, Voting, and Quorum. Council shall strive to achieve consensus on matters from the members present. If consensus cannot be reached, then Council shall give notice of a vote for the next regularly scheduled meeting. Notice of vote shall be no less than seven calendar days. Matters shall then be decided at the next regularly scheduled meeting by a majority vote of members present and voting. Manner of voting shall be decided by Council members. There is no quorum requirement for meetings.
Article VI – Committees
Section 1. Membership. Committees shall consist of volunteer members, with the Chair acting as an ex-officio member of all committees, except the Election Committee.
Section 2. Standing Committees. The following Standing Committees shall be held by the Association:
- Governance – assists with the creation and organization of the Association, as needed;
- Liaison – comprised of Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary and acts as a Liaison between the School’s Board of Directors and the Parent Association;
- Communications – manages communication and technology resources for the Association;
- Social Events – plans and coordinates community building social events for the Association;
- Parent Education – plans and coordinates parent education programs that address current issues of interest to parents;
- Hospitality – welcomes new members to the Association; encourages active participation in the Association among members; coordinates volunteer appreciation event and gifts from the Association members;
- French Culture and Enrichment – provides information and resources to the members regarding French Culture (holidays, food, language, media, etc.);
- School Support – coordinates with the Head of School and Board of Directors to recruit and provide necessary volunteer support to the school;
- Election – receives nominations from members for Council positions; coordinates all Elections. Members of the Election Committee shall not be members of the Council or candidates for the Council election being managed by the Election Committee.
Section 3. Committee Leadership. Each committee shall select a leader from among its members. The leader of each committee shall create and maintain a Procedures Manual for the committee’s operations in order to keep records for the next committee leader. The leader of each committee shall also update the Council and the members at regularly scheduled meetings on the committee’s operations, as needed.
Section 4. Additional Committees. Any member(s) may propose new committees along with its purpose and mission. Before the establishment of a new committee, the Council, Committee Leaders and proposers shall review and vet the proposed committee’s mission/purpose and bring a recommendation to the membership no later than one calendar month or the next meeting, whichever is greater. The membership may approve new committees by consensus or majority vote.
Article VII – Amendments
These Policies & Procedures may be amended at any meeting, provided that one month’s previous notice was given in writing at the prior meeting and then sent to all members of the Association by the Secretary. Amendments will be approved by at least two-thirds majority vote of those members present and voting at the meeting.
Article VIII – Dissolution
The Association may be dissolved with a one month’s previous notice and a two-thirds vote of those members present at the meeting.
*Financial Policies and Conflict of Interest Policies are not applicable at this time.
1Amendment approved January 11, 2016 to change the following sentence in Section 4 of Article IV: Council members are elected for one year (term starts September 1st and ends August 31st)
and may serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms in the same office.